Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Chocolate Milk, Baseballs & Family

I was watching Peter Pan with my boys tonight and one of the Lost Boys asked Robin Williams, "What is your Happy thought Peter?" The adult Peter Panning couldn't remember... So I asked LJ, "What is your happy thought? He responds immediately with, "My Family." Then I asked EJ, "What is your happy thought? And he responds, "Chocolate Milk and Baseballs...."
Such honest and innocent answers. 
Although I don't miss being a child, I do miss the simplicity and magic that comes with childhood. The smallest things are completely infatuating and the most complicated things are reduced to, 'Is it worth it the consequence?'
I love my kids and I am so excited to watch them grow but at the same time I am terrified of the day that the magic fades and life becomes a balancing act. At this point in their life they see only good and believe in all the magical parts of life which seem to fade in adulthood.
I have had a rough week...at work, at home, but most importantly in my head...
Thank goodness my boys only see the good. Mommy screams, cries, pouts...they tell me it will be okay... When I fail to see how it will be okay, they hug me, love me, kiss me and make me giggle. Then I remember that all the 'stuff' that is weighing so heavily on my heart is just 'stuff' and the little arms that hold me are all that matter. When I fail to see the magic in the world around me, I can feel it in their arms and kisses and hear it in their sweet, sweet words.  I love my boys, the innocence that engulfs them, the forgiveness that radiates from them and love that pours from them...
No wonder the Bible says in Matthew 18-3:
“Truly I tell you, unless you change 
and become like little children, 
you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Children don't over think things or don't give more weight to a situation than it deserves. They simply believe that everything will be okay...
And it is when we choose to Believe.
-EmJ

5 comments:

  1. Last night I laid down with Nathan. He had both of his hands wrapped tight around my hands. He said "this is so I'll know when you try to leave and I can stop you". That's my happy place :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! So true, they grow up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this and it is so true they grow up fast and you can see it when they loose that magic. Jonathan used to make me kiss his palm of his hand so he could have a "mommy" kiss when I wasn't with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great post. Makes me want to slow down.

    ReplyDelete